Thursday, November 21, 2013

Guided reading is an approach to reading instruction that aims to teach readers tools and strategies to read better on their own. Guided reading involves a small group, a shared text, and a teacher.

Guided Reading
 
Before Reading
During Reading
After Reading
Teacher reminds them what they have been talking about

Teacher has students point to pictures

Asks questions about pictures to activate more background knowledge and get students in the right mode of thought

Teacher and students make prediction

All read title out loud

All go through book page by page discussing concepts

Teacher asks questions about text

Teacher asks questions about students’ feelings and experiences

Teacher asks a lot of “What do you notice?”

Connects pictures to text very deliberately, matching pictures to words

Teacher uses text to practice phonemic awareness

“Are there some other words that you know?”

Students point to follow along

Teacher explains how punctuation affects meaning
Students are going to read quietly to themselves

Teacher models good reading behavior

Teacher instructs students to re-read if they finish for more practice

Teacher goes around to each quietly reading student and makes notes about the strategies they are using and their progress, helps them along if they are struggling

Teacher is encouraging



Teacher goes over strategies the students used and reinforces phonemic awareness techniques

Teacher reinforces comprehension strategies

Word work—flashcards about terms students have been discussing, teacher shows pictures and students say the term

Phonemic awareness exercise: “what sound does this word begin with?” , students match letters to onset sounds, then to final sounds (reviews silent e)





I really liked this video and appreciated the amount of time the teacher spent on pre-reading activities. I like that she kept the group centered and focused and made her expectations clear, especially by modeling each behavior before the students did it. I think guided reading is something I would want to make a big part of my reading instruction. It was cool to see how it worked in a lower-level setting like in this video. I wonder how it would be run for older students. The only thing I thought could be improved was allowing students more time to arrive to conclusions without prompting, giving students a bit more time to express themselves and to consider things. Question for myself: if this is something I value, how will I make it a priority in a super busy extra-packed day?

Reading A-Z seems like a cool website with a lot of good resources, although their membership is almost one hundred dollars a year.They seem to have a lot of good activities, graphic organizers, etc. and it's great how everything is divided and cross-referenced by the skill or subject you are looking to focus on. I hope someone put some of these things on Pinterest, is all I'm saying.




3 comments:

  1. I really like how you noted in your post that the video focus a lot on what to do before, since this allows reader who have not seen the video to understand why there are is a greater amount of data in this column than the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see where the membership to Reading A-Z was 100 dollars!!!! Still, I think that it just might be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I too, want to make guided reading a big part of my reading instruction. And yes, I thought there was a lot of room for some students to maybe get behind if they did not understand before being prompted in the video.

    ReplyDelete